Non Pell Weapon Work

Home Forums BUHURT TRAINING Non Pell Weapon Work

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ringo
    Participant

What do people do for WEAPON striking work that is not pell work? Alot of shots, particularly thrown with power can be bad for the joints and the impact is not always great either. Trying to be nicer to my body now that I don’t heal so well

I’ve been doing some “shadow boxing” with a sword or axe but because stopping the momentum is both bad habits and bad for joints it’s not really as good a simulation as shadow boxing. I do think its great for learning feel of the weapon though.

I’ve also been doing slow striking on pells, just hyper focusing on form, no power.

I want to start doing bag work with a boffer and I’ve been looking for a speed bag simulation for swords for a while and not figured out something I’m happy with.

Josh Kearney

Shadow Boxing, absolutely.

But Shadow boxing isn’t supposed to be what a lot of people thing it is.

People think Shadow boxing is supposed to be at 100% speed and effort. It’s not.

Shadow boxing is a warmup and technical drill, to be done at most medium speed and effort. The way I shadowbox is roughly 50% speed and work on my technique. Make sure every punch, kick, or swing is done correctly at a technical level.

You also work counters by visualizing an opponents action and responding appropriately.

Too much effort and speed in shadow boxing is terrible for your joints, and slowing it down has the added benefit of not taxing the joints nearly as much.

Daniel Krug
    Keymaster

Well guys, be sure to put back links to your FB pages and your personal websites with this stuff.

Daniel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top